Contact us

Complete the form below for a free, friendly, confidential, and no-obligation consultation

5 star service

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB), helps people involved in road accidents. They particularly specialise in accidents where the defendant is uninsured or untraced; untraced simply refers to hit and run cases. MIB covers all types of road accidents including car accidents, motorcycle accidents and pedestrian road traffic accidents. Drivers and passengers can claim for compensation.

Under the Limitation Act 1980, there is a requirement to start a claim within three years of the accident. However, there are exceptions to this such as if the victim is under the age of 18. The MIB run schemes such as the untraced drivers scheme created to protect the public from untraceable drivers.

With regard to personal injury, MIB can help with recovery treatment or rehabilitation. MIB handles more than 15,000 claims per years regarding victims of ‘hit and run’ circumstances.

The initial criteria are:

  • The accident occurred in the UK (includes Isle of Man, Channel Islands & Gibraltar)
  • You are claiming against an untraced driver
  • Or you’re claiming against an uninsured driver

Their investigations will involve:

  • Figuring out the facts
  • Confirming the identities of those involved (MIB will require each claimant to fill in a form)
  • Getting independent reports, e.g. from witnesses
  • Police report
  • Contacting other relevant bodies e.g. DVLA

The MIB may also ask you for a sketch of the accident scene and may ask you to provide medical records in the case of personal injury. When it comes to establishing responsibility, compensation can be paid to you when fault is established by the defendant driver. However, if you are partly or completely responsible for the accident, then the compensation can either be not paid or reduced.

Once MIB have completed their investigations, they will make a decision as to whether you are entitled to compensation. If so, they will make the compensation payment with agreement with either you or your solicitor.

MIB compensations are given for several reasons, most usually for vehicle damage, general damages and care claim. General damages are for the injury/pain/suffering endured by the victim as a result of the accident. Care claim is where the injury results in the victim needing constant care. This can be short term or long term.

Securing help from professionals, such as solicitors, who are already family with MIB and its claims process, means that the chances of receiving compensation are higher. Solicitors can help you to figure out the compensation you are entitled to and support you through the process.

Call Us

You May Also Like

Manual Handling Injuries at the Workplace

Manual Handling Injuries at the Workplace

Manual handling is defined as transporting a load manually. The load can be a small package or a larger container carried by multiple people. Manual actions include carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling or putting down a load. Manual handling injuries are one of the...

Compensation for Injuries Caused by Hazardous Substances

Compensation for Injuries Caused by Hazardous Substances

Exposure to hazardous materials is the 6th highest cause for people taking sick leave from work in 2020. During this year, exposure to harmful substances or environments was the reason for over 424,000 nonfatal injuries. If you’ve been exposed to hazardous substances...